Monday 3 June 2013

JUDE CRAIG, continued...

What makes you happy?
"Seeing my kids happy makes me happy. Seeing them hit a tennis ball, kick a football, wrestle and play… that fills my heart with joy. Having long days in my studio, attending opening nights… moments that every artist lives for, selling work or getting a commission that makes me happy. Getting home after being out all day and my dog, Lobey jumping on me, letting me know he has been waiting for the boys and me to come home. That makes me happy."

Jude's boys when they were little

Lobey

How does music inspire you in your life?
"Well, my music collection is very eclectic…I am finding since moving to Australia, while working in my studio, I tend to listen more to Radio National. Music is so overpowering for me, it transports me to different pockets of my life. I can listen to new music that I have discovered here in Australia when I am working on my artwork but I can’t listen to music that takes me back. For example, The Smiths transports me back to that era in the 80’s and I find the influence to heavy!"

Jude with her school friends in Bangor (check out the boom box)

How about when you are on your own, without doing your artwork?
I love listening to so many different types of music then…  Les Miserables to Franti, Joni Mitchell to the Chilli Peppers. I have just made friends again with African music. I can’t listen to music softly, I have to have the music really loud so I can feel it!

Listening to Joni Mitchell

If you could go back in a moment of time where would you go?
I would go back to… a time when I was on the boat in the Red Sea coming out of Suez and heading down to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia. I was on that smelly diesel boat with my, now partner, Marty. We both went for breakfast on that boat and that’s when… hmmm that fable of Cupid’s arrow was real, that’s when there was that moment we both looked at each other and we both shuddered! Marty said what the hell was that? I said I don’t know, what was that? It was Cupid’s arrow it was absolutely Cupid’s arrow! That was the moment we absolutely connected, fell in love, whatever you want to say that was a huge physical response to something that you think is just a fable.  I would like to re-live that moment.


A Moroccan pouf from Jude's travels


To Follow...
A dinner invite from Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment